Caring. Compassionate. Collaborative.

How to overcome your spouse’s objection to mediation

On Behalf of | Nov 8, 2023 | Divorce

In the state of Florida, you can get a divorce for any reason, and you can end your marriage without your spouse’s permission. However, it’s often faster, easier and less expensive to terminate a relationship when both sides are acting in good faith during settlement talks. Fortunately, there are multiple steps that you can take when your spouse isn’t being cooperative.

Consider your spouse’s feelings

Your spouse may be delaying the process because of hurt feelings. Even if your partner knows that the marriage is going to end, it won’t take away the hurt, anger or resentment that comes with doing so. Therefore, simply giving your partner time to grieve could be enough to get the mediation process back on track and result in a timely settlement without the need to go to court.

Create a common goal

If you have children with your spouse, you could reframe settlement talks as an effort to do what is best for your kids. Instead of thinking of delaying a divorce as a way to get back at you, your spouse will likely come to realize that it’s only hurting the kids. That may provide the motivation needed to get a deal done despite the hurt or anger that your spouse may feel toward you.

In a divorce, you may receive alimony, child support or other financial assistance from your spouse. An initial settlement may also include a preliminary child custody plan, which would become official if approved by a judge. If mediation doesn’t work, the case can move to court where a judge will decide whether you’re entitled to any financial award as well as how marital property will be divided. Child custody and other matters may also be decided by a judge.